Exciting opportunity for Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander university graduates to join the Victorian Public Service
Monday 27 April 2015
As part of the Victorian Government’s commitment to increase workforce participation by Aboriginal people in the public sector, the Victorian Public Service (VPS) has established the Aboriginal Pathway to its Graduate Recruitment and Development Scheme (GRADS), a 12-month development program where successful graduates will have the opportunity to learn about public service and contribute to a variety of initiatives.
Applications will open in early March 2016 for commencement on GRADS in 2017. If you have already graduated from university, or will be a final year student in 2016, your application is welcome.
“The Pathway has given me a sense of family and belonging. The networks and friendships made will be with me for a very long time. It has allowed me to live my life in a way I was not used to with a regular salary and the freedom to develop and learn at my own pace.” - Luke Rose, 2014 graduate (Human Resources, Victoria Police)
The hallmarks of the Aboriginal Pathway are cultural sensitivity, pastoral care and strong networking. Graduates entering the VPS via the GRADS and the Aboriginal Pathway are recruited to an ongoing role in the Victorian Public Service (VPS).
The Aboriginal GRADS Pathway offers successful applicants:
- The opportunity to experience placements in three diverse departments or agencies
- Workshops to strengthen cultural identity and develop future career plans
- Year-long formal learning and development opportunities
- Networking opportunities, pastoral care and ongoing professional support- including the opportunity to be placed with an Aboriginal mentor
- Flexible working arrangements
- A commencing salary of $50,826 (plus superannuation); and
- Guaranteed permanent appointment and advancement to a higher pay level on successful completion of the program.
Aboriginal candidates must meet all GRADS assessment criteria. This includes completion or final year study of an undergraduate degree (minimum) at an Australian university and a completed application form, as well as evidence of Aboriginality.
Where can I be placed?
The GRADS will be recruited from a range of ‘streams’ including:
- Generalist Stream - The generalist GRADS has opportunities for graduates from any academic discipline.
- Accounting and Finance Stream - Open to graduates with a major in accounting or finance.
- Economics Stream – The Economics stream is open to graduates with a minimum of an economics major.
- Business and Technology Stream – Encompasses program and project management, procurement, contract management, data analysis, and information communications technology.
- Education Stream - The Department of Education and Training (DET) recruit graduates from all disciplines with a passion for education
Reflections from past graduates:
“The Pathway has put in me in the path of inspiring young Aboriginal colleagues. It has given me a support net and access to a wealth of knowledge across the VPS.” - Maddi Miller, 2014 graduate (Heritage Victoria, Department of the Environment, Water, Land and Planning )
“More than a standard ‘out of uni’ job, the VPS Graduate Recruitment and Development Scheme sets you up to succeed. It’s one of the best ways to kick start your career.” – Kathryn Sullivan, former graduate
Click here to read more about the experiences of previous graduates.
To download an application package and read more information about eligibility criteria and other requirements, please visit the Victorian Government Graduates website. For further information and hints and tips for your application, download the VPS GRADS Candidate Guide.pdf.
Aboriginal graduates and final year undergraduate students are welcome to contact Joe Murfet, Aboriginal Employment Unit, Victorian Public Sector Commission on (03) 9651 0837 or via email@example.com for more information.