Aurora Indigenous Scholars International Study Tour- explore what’s possible for you…
Sunday 26 April 2015
“Being a part of the growing community of Indigenous scholars attending the Tour and graduating from overseas institutes is a fulfilling and inspiring journey. It allows Indigenous students from all corners of Australia to meet, form long lasting professional networks and friendships, and form a base of support for each other to strive to realise our full potential. While we could simply remain in Australia to study at our local university, the skills and training provided by these world leading institutes enable Indigenous scholars to return to Australia with a louder voice and the ability to enact truly beneficial changes for Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians alike.”
Lindsay Christian, 2014 Study Tour participant
Making what seems impossible possible
The Aurora Indigenous Scholars International Study Tour (the Study Tour) is happening again for the fourth year.
Since our first Study Tour in 2011, 64 talented Indigenous students and graduates have visited leading overseas universities such as Cambridge and Oxford in the UK, and Berkeley, Columbia, Harvard, New York University and Stanford in the US.
If you are contemplating postgraduate study overseas, the Study Tour provides an invaluable opportunity to travel with a group of like-minded students, visit universities and meet with academics, administrators and current postgraduate students in your area of interest. The Study Tour is a great introduction to life as a postgraduate student at some of the world’s leading universities.
Participants have found the Study Tour a great first step to making successful applications to these overseas universities. Following the annual tour, 26 participants have applied for, and 25 have been accepted into, at least one of these leading overseas universities (a 96% success rate). Many of these successful applicants have gone on to be awarded Charlie Perkins or Roberta Sykes scholarships to support their studies overseas.
2014 Scholars reflect on the way the Study Tour opened them up to a world of possibilities...
- “One of the best things that made the experience what it was, was our group of Scholars. Being connected to other high-achieving Indigenous students, who want to make a difference in the world and achieve excellence, was truly encouraging and supportive. Shelley Cable, Curtin University. Shelley was also the winner of the 2015 Generation One CEO for a Day competition, read her story here.
- “To be able to meet all the other students of the tour and past participants was inspiring for me. It was brilliant to see us all as a single force dispelling stereotypes placed on Aboriginal people and pushing through all the hardships. We are all not just getting by, but excelling.” Allanah Hunt, Central Queensland University
Interested in applying for the 2015 Study Tour?
Those selected to participate in the 2015 Study Tour will leave Australia in the last week of October and spend approximately 3 weeks in the US visiting Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia and NYU, and approximately 10 days in the UK at Cambridge and Oxford.
Applications for the 2015 Aurora Indigenous Scholars International Study Tour open 1 May 2015 and close 1 June 2015.
If you are a scholar of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, with strong academic results in an undergraduate degree and would like to pursue postgraduate study at one of the world’s leading universities, we would love to hear from you!
To apply for the Study Tour you need:
- to have graduated from your first degree, or have completed at least two years of your undergraduate degree
- a strong academic record - you should have maintained a Distinction average or equivalent throughout your studies
- a strong interest in postgraduate study overseas
- willingness to act as an ambassador of the program while overseas
- to be prepared for an intensive five-week period of travel, meetings and events.
How to apply?
To apply, complete the online application form available on the Aurora Project website, from 1st May 2015.
For more information regarding the Study Tour, please contact: The International Scholarships team, via email email@example.com or phone (02) 9310 8428.
The Aurora Indigenous Scholars International Study Tour is made possible by the generous support of the Australian Government, Australian universities and various philanthropic organisations including the Charlie Perkins Scholarship Trust and the Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation. Click here for a full list of Tour supporters.