Meet the 2014 Aurora Indigenous Study Tour Scholars
Wednesday 29 October 2014
The group of successful applicants for the 2014 Study Tour left Australia on the 25th October for the 5 week Study Tour that will take them to Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia and NYU in the US, and then on to Cambridge and Oxford in the UK.
The Tour is a great introduction to life as a postgraduate student at some of the world’s leading universities. This year’s group comes from a variety of universities and disciplines from marketing and business to biotechnology, law, mathematics and engineering.
To read their full Biographies including the degrees they undertook at Australian Universities and what they are hoping to study at overseas Universities click here.
- Skye Akbar: is a Wongutha Aboriginal woman; from the University of South Australia.
- Ren Allan: Grew up in the Kamilaroi community of Tamworthy; from University of Newcastle.
- Nathan Bird: Raised in Katherine, NT, Nathan is a Murri man from Queensland and is of Badtjala (Fraser Island), Juru (Far-North Queensland), English, Scottish, and Solomon Islands descent; from Melbourne University.
- Shelley Cable: Descendent of the Noongar people, born and raised in Perth and spent a few years of her childhood in Kalgoorie; from Curtin University.
- Nathan Canuto: is a Torres Strait Islander; from Charles Darwin University.
- Lindsay Christian: A descendant of the Wiradjuri people of central NSW; from Queenland University of Technology (QUT).
- Marika Cox: A Wilyakali descendant (Ivanhoe, NSW) and grew up on Wiradjuri land; from Deakin University. Needed to defer participation.
- Karen Daniels: A Kamilaroi woman, currently living in Newcastle and grew up in Blacktown; from the University of Newcastle.
- Koby Elliott: Of Biripi descent, and currently lives in Wollongong, NSW; from the University of Technology. Needed to defer participation.
- Jared Field: Descendent of the Kamilaroi people; from the University of Sydney.
- Judd Harris: Of Wangai descent grew up and currently lives in Perth, Western Australia; from the Curtin University.
- Allanah Hunt: A Barkindji woman, now living in Brisbane; from CQ University.
- Nicholas Johnston: A Gunai/Kurnai man; from South-east Victoria; from Monash University.
- Bobby Maher: Noongar and Yamitji woman, who grew up in the South West of Western Australia; ancestral ties are to the Kimberley and Pilbara regions of Western Australia; from Curtin University of Technology.
- Tahnee McBean: A descendant of the Kuyani peoples, who was born and grew up in Victoria; from Melbourne University.
- Tahjee Moar: A descendant of the Meriam, Barkindji and Malyangapa people, now living in Sydney; from the University of New South Wales.
- Luke Patterson: A Kamilaroi descendant from North Western NSW, grew up in Sydney; from Melbourne University.
- Brett Rowling: A Guringai man from the Broken Bay Tribe NSW, direct descendant of Bungoree; from Wollongong University.
- Christian Woodward: A descendant of the Gurang Gurang and Kabi Kabi people of coastal Queensland, grew up in Brisbane and currently resides on the Fraser Coast; from Deakin University.